Nooelec SAWbird IR - Premium Dual Ultra-Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) & Saw Filter Module for Iridium and Inmarsat Applications. 1620MHz Center Frequency
FOR FULL PRODUCT INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT THE PRODUCT PAGE ON OUR WEBSITE AT NOOELEC.COM
SAWbird IR is a self-contained LNA module designed for capturing L-Band signals, specifically from Iridium and Inmarsat satellites. It has very high attenuation outside of the 60MHz bandpass region, centered around 1.620GHz, and a minimum of 20dB of gain within the bandpass region. Nominal current draw is only 30mA.
The SAWbird series contains 2 ultra-low-noise LNAs (single package), sandwiched around a custom-designed, high-performance SAW filter centered at the frequency of interest.
Each module allows for 3 different power options, but you should only power with one option at any given time! The recommended power input through the SMA output port (for bias-tee capable SDRs like the NESDR SMArTee XTR) is 3V-5V DC. Alternatively, if you don't have a bias-tee capable SDR, you can use the external power options through the microUSB port or the power input header. The recommended external power input is 3.3V-5.5V DC.
As the frequency of this device borders on the maximum frequency capability of R820T-based SDRs, we recommend using it in conjunction with the NESDR SMArTee XTR v2, which contains a bias-tee capable of powering the SAWbird IR module with bias power. It also utilizes a different tuner IC than other low-cost SDRs, which means it is capable of frequencies well in excess of 2GHz. A good alternative would be the HackRF--though it is sold at a much higher price point, it also has a great deal of other useful features, like transmit capability, and is capable of operation up to 6GHz.
Though this module will be sufficient to greatly improve your reception, you may want to instead consider SAWbird+ IR if you are using NESDR SMArTee XTR, or if your SDR can provide sufficient current (~180mA), or you are willing to power with the external power options. SAWbird+ IR has a higher gain and a slightly lower noise figure.
- SAWbird IR is a self-contained LNA module designed for capturing L-Band signals, specifically from Iridium and Inmarsat satellites
- Each module contains 2 ultra-low-noise LNAs (single package), sandwiched around a custom-designed, high-performance SAW filter centered at 1620MHz
- The amplifier can be powered in 3 ways: via bias tee, through the on-board microUSB connector, or through DC barrel connector with the included USB to DC connector adapter
- Though compatible with most SDRs, we recommend using in conjunction with NESDR SMArTee XTR v2 (available on Amazon, item ID B06Y1GN5RP). For a higher gain, lower noise version, consider SAWbird+ GOES (available on Amazon, item ID B07GBFNV1H)
- Includes free male SMA to male SMA adapter and USB to DC barrel connector adapter. Full 1 year warranty and support direct through Nooelec!